At the July 19, 2018 Village Council meeting, there was a presentation from Freebee, a company that provides a transportation service free to the public with environmentally friendly electric vehicles. Freebee is proposing an on-request transit service for Upper Matecumbe Key, a service that would reduce the number of vehicles on the road and provide visitors with a “green” alternative to visit local shops and restaurants. On its website, Freebee describes its transit solution as “a fun, alternative transportation option.”
July 4th Fireworks and Family Fun at Founders Park. The popular “Spirit of Islamorada” July 4th celebration is to be held at Founders Park, MM 87 on Plantation Key. Hosted by the Village of Islamorada and the Upper Keys Rotary Club, the event features entertainment and activities for kids, teens, adults and even dogs. The party is to run 6-9:30 p.m., followed by the fireworks show. Guests staying at participating resorts receive admission-free wristbands. An admission fee will be charged for nonresidents not staying at a participating hotel.
The long anticipated opening of Publix Supermatket in Islamorada is scheduled for tomorrow Thursday May 24 at 7:00 am. Store hours moving forward are 6:00 am to 10:00 pm. The new location is at Mile Marker 83.3 bayside.
The Cheeca Lodge & Spa will re-open Friday March 30, 2018. After an extensive rebuild after Hurricane Irma, Cheeca is ready to welcome back visitors to Islamorada. Be one of the first to see the beautiful renovation.
George, a Great White Shark, with a tracker has been spotted in the Everglades National Park. See full story at http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article198479759.
Photo by Terry Goss
There will be a Super Moon January 1, 2018 and then a very special Super Moon at the end of January. See The full article at https://keysnews.com/article/story/first-a-supermoon-then-a-red-blue-one-to-occur-in-january/
200 Mile Paddle Board to Raise Awareness and Fund Research for Nemaline Myopathy
Rich Wygand is a father, husband, RW Coaching founder and former professional Ironman triathlete. In July 2016, his first child, Luke, was born with a rare genetic disorder causing severe muscle weakness called Nemaline Myopathy (NM). Rich’s son’s condition was totally unexpected and he has endured more in his first year of life than most do in a lifetime. He has already spent over 130 days in the hospital. With your help, we can make a huge impact on Luke’s life, and all those affected by Nemaline Myopathy.
ABOUT PADDLING FOR STRENGTH
- What: Paddle Boarding
- Where: Lake Worth Beach to Key West, Florida
- How Far: 200 miles!
- How Long: Under 50 hours
- When: February 2nd, 2018 (depending on weather conditions)
- Training Support: Evolution Fitness Wellington with Alex and RW Coaching, for endurance
- Stops: just 1, if needed, around halfway mark, only for a few hours
- Media: Weekly videos on YouTube, updates on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter from RW Coaching, Luke Wygand, A Foundation Building Strength and on and .
WHY PADDLE BOARDING?
- Paddle boarding requires full body strength and balance, and this is one of the greatest physical challenges for Luke.
- It requires a lot of core, and Rich says that strength comes from the core, making this the perfect sport.
- Rich and Luke are from the horoscope sign Cancer – energized by water.
- A unique way to raise awareness about NM
- Rich is a former pro Ironman triathlete and wanted to do something different than swim/bike/run to challenge him and at the same time require more strength.
Rich hopes to empower Luke and show him that life is limitless.
Show your support and donate to the cause at https://paddlingforstrength.com/
From 5 to 9 at Founders Park Beach